Water and Meters

Metering Water

In 2009 Red Lake undertook a project to reduce spiraling water consumption and overloaded treatment plants in our townsites. With the installation of water meters waters and subsequent reductions in water use our water consumption dropped over 50% and sewer treatment plants recovered capacity that continues to allow for the development of new serviced properties.

Serviced properties with equipment connected to Municipal Water are required to have an operating water meter. In the event a meter is not operating properly, is damaged, missing or was never installed property owners are required to make an appointment to have the meter installed or serviced. Failure to contact public works at 807-727-2597 may subject owners to increased fees, fines, and water service shut off.

Purchasing Water

If you require water for various and transient purposes within the Municipality contact public works at 807-727-2597 to determine how we can best service you.

Depending on your application you may be able to purchase water in bulk from one of our facilities, setup a portable meter on a fire hydrant, or have water delivered. 

Meters - Frequently asked questions

What is an Ecoder Status

It is essentially your water meter status. Your meter records a few usage statistics that can be useful in determining problems with your water service. These statistics are referred to by the manufacturer as Ecoder Data. The statistics it keeps are: Consecutive days with zero consumption, days of intermittent leak, days of continuous leak, the severity of reverse flow events.

How do I read my meter

You must locate your physical water meter: they are typically found where the water service enters the building. You will need a flashlight or other directional light source. Shine the light on the clear plastic lens of the meter and observe the digital display. The Meter will display information in sequence, showing some information similar to a date, and then displaying the current meter reading registered in litres (for 5/8 and 3/4 meters). Litres can be converted to Cubic Meters by dividing by 1000.

Something is Wrong

For a water emergency please contact public works at 807-727-2597.

Water Meter Billing

Information on water bills contact Municipal Office at 807-735-2096.

Scroll to top